My liking for sweets makes me try for a new recipe everyday. I cant live without eating deserts and sweets be it Indian or International. My tongue craves for it like anything. So here I am posting a very simple tried and tested recipe for these sumptuous desert, First we should know as to what is Ras Malai. It is a dish made with home-made cottage cheese, made into sweet dumplings and served with thickened milk with a tinge of saffron and mixed nuts like almonds and pistachios.
For making the chena for the Ras malai:
2tbsp Lemon Juice
1 cup sugar
4 cups water
For the Rassa:
1tsp Cardamom Powder
2tbsp mixed nuts (Almonds + Pistachios)
- Boil milk in pan. When it starts to boil add in lime juice.
- Stir gently.
- Then take a muslin cloth, separate paneer from water. Press well.
- Hang the cloth on the tap to remove excess water for 30 minutes.
In the meanwhile for the rassa:
- Boil the remaining 1lt milk in a pan, when it starts to boil, lower the flame.
- Add in cardomom powder, and saffron.
- Mix well.
- Let it simmer on low flame, till milk is reduced to half of what it was.
After 30 minutes:
- Take the chena, make sure that there is no water in the paneer.
- If required, grind it the mixer.
- Knead it into a smooth dough.
- Now divide this into small flat balls.(Make sure that there is no crack in the ball)
- Now take a pressure cooker, add water and sugar.
- When it starts to boil, slowly put the paneer discs into it.
- Close the lid.
- After one whistle, switch off the gas.
- Take out the Paneer discs from the cooker, after 5 minutes.
- Squeeze each disc slighlty to remove the excess water.
- The Rasa would be thickened by now.
- Add in mixed nuts in it.
- Now add the chena discs into it.
- Serve chilled.