A classic pizza, named after the Italian Queen Margherita. On a visit to Naples, Queen Margherita requested for a local specialty. She was served a pizza in the colours of the Italian Flag - red tomatoes, green basil and white mozzarella. The Queen was delighted and the dish was named after her.
The main ingredient of this recipe is the basil and the mozzarella cheese. I personally love this pizza a lot. I hope the readers will like it too.
For the Sauce:
250g tomatoes (blanched and pureed)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chilly flakes
1 tsp basil (dried)
20ml extra virgin olive oil
For the Pizza:
4 Pizza Base
20g Fresh Basil Leaves, to garnish
400g mozzarella cheese (grated)
20ml olive oil, to Garnish
To make the Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together in the blender.
To assemble the Pizza:
- Take the Pizza dough, spread a layer of butter on it.
- After that evenly spread a layer of the tomato sauce over the dough.
- Tear a few basil leaves over the Pizza and evenly sprinkle 100g of mozzarella cheese over it.
- Bake the Pizza at 230 degrees for at least 15 minutes, rotating it in the oven occasionally.
- When baked, drizzle olive oil over the Pizza.
- Similarly make the remaining pizzas.