2 cup Basmati Rice
5 cups of water
1 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
2 Black Cardamom
2 green Cardamom
1 Cinnamon stick (Dalchini)
1/2 cup Carrot (par boiled)1/2 cup Green Peas (par boiled)
1 small sized boiled Potato
1/2 cup Cauliflower (par boiled)
1/2 cup Paneer (optional)
1 medium sized onions (julienned)
1 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
2 Green Chilies (cut into long slits)
2 tbsp Yogurt
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1 tbsp Red chilly powder
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tbsp Birynai Masala (optional)
For Final setting of the biryani:
Oven (Pre-heated at 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes)
1 glass dish or Handi
2 tbsp ghee
6-7 strands of Saffron (soaked in 1 tbsp of milk)
7-8 cashews fried
1 medium sized onion (julienned and fried)
For the Rice:
- Soak the rice for one hour before making the biryani.
- Then take a vessel, add in the soaked rice + ghee + salt + green cardamom + black cardamom + tej pata + Cinnamon + fresh coriander and mint leaves + water.
- Keep it on high flame for 7-8 minutes.
- After that just remove the rice from water and spread it on a flat surface. (on a tray)
- Chop all the vegetables: carrot (cubed), cauliflower (separate the florets), onions (julienned) paneer (cubed)
- Take a vessel, add in carrots + cauliflower + peas.Pour 2 cups of water and some salt. Put it on the gas stove. Let the vegetables boil for 10 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a kadahi, add in cumin seeds when it stops cluttering, add in ginger and garlic paste in it.
- Keep stirring it so that it does not stick, then add in the green chillies.
- Now add in the julienned onions in it. Mix all this well. When it turns pink add in the potatoes.
- Then add in all the boiled vegetables. Mix it and let it cook for a while on low heat.
- In the meanwhile take a bowl add in yogurt + red chilly powder + cumin powder + coriander powder + turmeric + biryani masala (optional) + garam masala powder. Whisk the curd with all this well.
- Now add this mixture into the kadahi so that it is cooked with all the vegetables.
- Add fresh coriander leaves into it.mix well
- Switch off the gas.
For the final setting:
- Divide the rice into two halves.
- In one part spread the soaked saffron (not all keep some for garnishing too)
- Sprinkle kewra essence on the rice (both the parts)
- Now take a glass dish, evenly spread 3tbsp of ice on the base, sprinkle 1tsp of ghee over it.
- Then spread 2 tbsp of vegetables over it. with some fried onions.
- Now spread the saffron coloured rice over it. sprinkle 1 tsp ghee again.
- Top this with the vegetables + fried onions.
- Repeat the same with the remaining Rice and vegetables and fried onions.
- Now on top of this arrangement sprinkle the saffron+ kewra essence + freshly chopped mint and coriander leaves + fried cashews and onions.
- Cover it with an aluminium foil.
- Place it in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes at 180degress Celsius.
- Serve hot with some Rich gravy and Raita.
- Take care of the salt as while boiling the vegetables and rice you have already added some salt. so keep tasting before you add salt.
- The vegetables and rice should not be totally cooked. (par-boiled)
- You can even use a terracotta pot (handi) for making this biryani. for the lid make a fat chapati with flour and place it on the mouth of the pot before placing it in the oven.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180degress Celsius for 20 minutes.