- Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes, drain and keep aside.
- Take a vessel, add in water + salt + ghee + the spices.
- add in the rice.
- Half cook the rice.
- Clean the meat, cut into pieces.
- Marinate the mutton in curd and salt.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee, add spices, chopped green chilies and onions and fry till mixture turns brown. Also add masala 1 and 2 and stir well.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add mutton pieces, coriander and mint leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste.
- Cook for 15 minutes and add masala 3. Cook till the gravy becomes thick.
- Divide rice into 3 parts and mutton into 2 parts.
- Grease a dish and arrange alternate layers of meat and rice and meat, beginning and ending with rice.
- Dissolve a little saffron or yellow coloring in 1/4 cup of milk.
- Pour over rice, cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts, raisins and hardboiled eggs